05 febrero 2007

BOOKS I LIKED
By "the famous norteamerican woman's writer"


SMALL ISLAND. Andrea Lévy

" There have been many novels written about World War Two. Most I've read have focused on the Holocaust and its victims, so it was intereting to pick one up that was about the life of a soldier during and after the war. I liked the exploration of what it meant to be a black soldier fighting for the British while not being welcomed into their society. That plotline gave me
a great deal to think about.
However, the story moved slowly, and I found myself skimming large
parts of it. Another problem was that I didn't particularly like the characters. Gilbert was a clown much of the time, Hortense was a horrible person who stole her best friend's boyfriend and couldn't stop complaining about everything. Queenie was smug and Bernard was insufferably boring.
I couldn't get attached to the characters and I found myself rolling my eyes at the end of the book, rather than feeling any sort of emotion for the events that should have tugged at my heartstrings. In order to really grab me, the writing would have needed a snappier and characters who were considerably more pleasant. As written, it was a good concept that simply fell flat ".